A Qatar Guide for Tourists and Residents
 
Home   Qatar   Doha   Contact   Qatar Jobs   Qatar Map   Request

Monday, May 14, 2007

Museum frustrations

or why it’s hard to be a tourist in Qatar...

I’d wanted to see to visit the weaponry museum for a long time, but I’d always been put off by having to obtain a permit first. This week I had visitors, which gave me the motivation to try and organize a trip.

I first obtained the number from the Marhaba information guide, which didn’t function. I then checked under museums in the phone book, but the only number listed under museums was that of the tiny Al Khor museum. I rang directory enquiries who gave me the wrong number. The number they gave me put me through to the National Museum, where I was passed along a chain of three people, before being given another number, and passed along another chain of three people. The last person I spoke to gave me another number, which I rang, only to be given another number - which was “currently not available”.

I again tried the number from the Marhaba, which worked this time. The person in charge was away, but his replacement told me I must obtain a letter from my company, which must be faxed to the weaponry museum with the time and date I wish to visit. Then I would be granted a permit.

I never got around to obtaining the letter. I have a suspicion the situation would be the same as when I applied for a permit for the Oryx park (no reply). If you are a tourist, forget trying to organise it yourself and go through a tour company. If you are resident in the country, it’s probably easier to wait until the museum hold an exhibition.

It’s a real shame that the museum seems so determined to stop people from coming. As I found during their exhibition in the Asian Games, they have a fascinating collection of exhibits, beautifully mounted and presented and including an extremely rare example of elephant armour.

The courtyard of the former Al Wakra museumAfter giving up on the weaponry museum we drove to Al Wakra. We eventually located the Museum in an old house opposite the Sea Gardens – not easy, as there was no sign. On our first try, the caretaker vanished as soon as we appeared. We went away, and sneaked back later, creeping round the side of the museum so he wouldn’t see us until it was too late. After we had cornered and bullied the caretaker into letting us in, we saw why he had been so reluctant. The whole place was full of rubbish – including the now dismantled sign.

We were disappointed - after all, the museum is still advertised on the Qatar Tourism website. But then, so is the Ethnographic museum in the Doha's only remaining wind tower (closed), the displays in Doha fort (closed), Pearl Island (demolished)... well, you get the picture.

Also see:

The Sheik Faisal Museum Definitely not closed or demolished!

Qatar National Museum

Things to See and Do in Qatar

Qatar Visitor e-store (U.S.)

Qatar Visitor E-store (U.K.)

Find the best deal, compare prices and read what other travellers have to say about Qatar


Tags