A Qatar Guide for Tourists and Residents
 
Home   Qatar   Doha   Contact   Qatar Jobs   Qatar Map   Request

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Travel insurance in Qatar

Also see our 2009 Qatar Travel Insurance Update.

It can be hard to find online companies that insure Qatar Residents. One company that do provide insurance are Columbus Direct, who are affiliate to Qatar Airways.

I found their prices very reasonable compared to the Lonely Planet’s insurance service. I also found them quick to respond to email s (although not, unfortunately, to my email requesting to become an affiliate!)

I was initially suspicious when I couldn’t find the level of cover on their site. In fact, this only appears after you have put in your details, and their medical cover is very good.

The company has had both good and bad reviews – check them out here.

My wife’s company also recommended Qatar Insurance. I rang them, and when I finally managed to get through to the travel insurance section I found them friendly and helpful.

Their premium was substantially lower (more than a quarter of the price) than Columbus Direct, but so was their cover. When I rang them, Qatar Insurance offered $250,000 of medical cover compared to $5,000,000 worth of cover from Columbus Direct. However, when I actually visited them at their building they only offered me $50,000 of medical cover.

I couldn’t find reviews of Qatar Insurance on the net, although like I said they came recommended.

If you do book with them, make sure you give them the correct dates. After you have paid, they will not adjust the policy – your only option will be to take out a new policy.

If you have any good or bad experiences with travel insurance from Qatar, please leave a comment or email us!

Columbus Direct
Email: admin@columbusdirect.com
Tel: Tel 0870 033 9988

Qatar Insurance
Enquiry form
Tel (Operator): 4490 490
(After office hours)
Tel (Operator): 4490 491
Location Al Dafna area close to City Centre Shopping Mall.

Also see: Information for Expats and Qatar Life Insurance

Qatar Tour Agencies

Find the best deal, compare prices and read what other travellers have to say about Qatar

Tags